Cool Natural Pillar
Posted: 15 June 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2011-05-19

castmenhirfortabletoprpgplay.pngStar-Wars-rodian-hunt-master-behind-cast-crystal-barrier.png

These are plastic hollow casts I created by molding a crystal I had found a couple years back.  Finding natural objects for table play is one of my favorite things to do, because the natural texture can not be mimicked as perfectly as one can sculpt it.

The column/barrier above was spray painted with a flat, white primer.  It was then color washed with a dark blue; blended with a dark red to create color variation on the piece.  Next it was drybrushed with off-white.  It was very simple to paint, and the natural texture did all the work to bring out the depth in the detailed finish.

cast-crystal-stones.png

I hope to offer these castings for sale in the near future.  Here are a couple more pics.

Posted: 17 June 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2011-01-07

That paint looks good.

I think having a base to help them stand up will be good.

Are you going to do more with items like this?  Build up a crystalline wasteland, sort of thing?

Signature 

João: This is the most beautiful game I ever played. Never will I play a better.

Posted: 17 June 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

I was thinking of molding a few types of other crystals and using the groups to form the interior of a crystal cave.  Every day I look up at the mountains waiting for the snow on the peaks to melt.  It is up there that I find these crystals.

Today at the bookstore I discovered the May/June 2012 issue of Rocks & Minerals has a picture of the location that I hike into on page 229.  It describes it as a 30 mile drive on a rough road and a 1 mile hike…LOL!  That is in PERFECT conditions.  Normally one has to hike 5 miles down to the border (of Idaho), and 5 miles back up hill when one is done ‘hounding’.  This is because even in mid August there are snow banks that can cover the road, and LOTS of fallen trees (big ones).  Now, imagine hauling a backpack full of ‘treasures’ uphill to ones car.  Yes, after every half mile or so certain rocks no longer have value to the transporter and they get left on the trail…lol.  It is truly my favorite place on earth though - absolute favorite.

There are plenty of other places to pick up crystals where I live, but I prefer the variety and uniqueness of the Snowbird location.  The view is breathtaking up there.

I am surprised the magazine chose such a drab picture to print.  There are so many ‘better’ pictures they could have published; such as the large audits or the mega sized quartz crystals.

I have seen plenty of crystals being used on the rpg table.  Many of them are real, and they look fabulous as terrain.  Anyway, there are so many reasons why I hike to this place.  Fluorite for D8 dice is one of them.  Then there is the moose poop (an incense that is burned for its rustic, birtch/aldar scent), pine resin (another incense), huckleberries, mountain raspberries, ... and the list goes on.  Believe it or not, moose poop sells for about $1 per piece and pine resin for about $5/oz;  so I end up with some yuppy incense that smells wonderful every time I go on a quest for gaming pieces/supplies in the wilderness.  (I think I will go burn some now.)

Posted: 17 June 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

Deep inhale imagining the scent of burning moose poop.

Yeah, doesn’t work for me.

...and snow?  It was over 90º here today.  I’ve only just managed to not whimper constantly since about 1pm.

But how long would a 30 mile drive on rough roads take?  Two hours?

Signature 

João: This is the most beautiful game I ever played. Never will I play a better.

Posted: 17 June 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  696
Joined  2004-11-21

I can’t imagine burning Moose poo, no matter how it smells.

Posted: 17 June 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

LOL… both of you.  Many do not realize that when they burn stick incense, its primary ingredient is cow poop.  That is why so many of them smell like burning grass that has been ‘covered’ with a desired oil or resin.  Nasty stuff.  If you are gonna burn poo, burn the good stuff.  Those moose are very choice eaters.

Ettrick, it is about a 66 mile drive from my house, and it takes 2 hours to get to the trail head driving (when the road is not washed out).  Then, depending on if the forest service has maintained the road and opened the gate, one must hike in.  So in the best case, you do a 2 mile walk (1 mile down, and 1 mile back), but fat chance you will have that perfect of a condition.  Just expect to walk 10 miles (5 miles down, and 5 miles back).  Then plan to sing lots of loud songs and rhythmically bang the metal drinking canisters while walking; to let the wildlife know you are coming…lol (griz country).  Two years ago I saw a cougar that probably weighed as much as I do (only it was all muscle compared to me).

I look forward every year to going up there and getting more gaming materials.  I will post this years finds when I do some trips.  I am hoping to get into a good pocket of clear fluorite.

Posted: 17 June 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

Yeah, but isn’t moose poop the source for petricysticphylangeal spores?  They spread by floating through the air and are resistant to fire.  I believe that’s the adaptation which has allowed it to survive the anti-cystic measures taken by the CDC.  What a horrible way to spend the winter of your life.

oh oh

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

Perhaps I should make it clear, I made that up.  What was it, petricyysticphylangeal spores?  Never heard of them and they probably don’t exist.

My apologies if I’ve already prompted half the readers to throw out their moose poop incense.  I really should be more responsible.

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  696
Joined  2004-11-21

Guess I’ll have to go back to my trash can and retrieve the moose poo.

Posted: 17 June 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

cheese  And RPGHF hasn’t responded because he’s so busy searching for that disease on the CDC and Mayoclinic websites that he’s ignoring us and his email.  What have I done?  Actually, I suspect the “petri” part tipped him off to its falsity.

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2012 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

Rofl - hilarious!

Posted: 17 June 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

One time I sent some to someone as a gesture of friendliness because it is a highly prized incense.  For some reason that person stopped talking to me.

Posted: 18 June 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

Obviously, this wasn’t a yuppy with the good taste that comes with leaving behind humble beginnings and adopting the posh attitudes of lives lived in luxury and conspicuous consumption.

I always ask for monkey poop coffee but everyone laughs at me thinking I’m joking.  Oh, there are better things to spend $250/lb. on.  I would start with pewter and plastic.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

Was this the one you were after?  Yes, it is very hard to find.

colossal-doo-photoshopped.jpg

Posted: 04 July 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Major
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-07

I have a sneaking suspicion Keurig does not offer monkeypoo coffee.  I believe that’s the “Bonobo, Oh, no, Bro” type coffee.  tongue laugh

Pretty funny though.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Captain
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-19

Considering the prices of some plastic figures these days, I am beginning to wonder if they are manufactured using the same technique explained here.

‹‹ Defiance Games Marines      Armoured Diver ››